Monday, December 19, 2016

Shrimp, Corn & Chile Chowder by Land O Lakes

If you haven't visited the Land O Lakes website, I recommend checking it out. They have many recipes made my their test kitchen. Here's one I found that has been great with gestational diabetes. https://www.landolakes.com/search/?s=shrimp,%20corn%20&%20Chile%20Chowder

Prep Time 20 Min
Total Time 30 Min
6 (1-cup) Servings

Ingredients
2 Tbsp Light Butter
1 Large (1 Cup) Onion, Chopped
1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Can (4 oz) Chopped Green Chiles, Undrained
1-1/2 Cups Fat Free Half & Half
1 Can (14.5 oz) Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 Can (15 oz) Whole Kernel Corn with Red and Green Peppers, Drained
1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper
1 Pound Fresh or Frozen Medium Raw Shrimp, Shelled , Deveined, Rinsed
2 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Cilantro

1. Melt butter in saucepan; add onion. Cook over medium-high heat 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add flour and chiles; continue cooking, stirring constantly, 1 minute.

2. Stir in half & half, chicken broth, corn, cumin, salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened. (Do Not Boil.) Stir in shrimp, continue cooking 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in cilantro.

Kristi Notes: I used full fat and salt everything. Next time I will try with the fat free half & half. I didn't think it was too salty, so I'd probably stick with the full salt chicken broth. I used precooked shrimp from the frozen area of the grocery store. Next time I'm cooking the shrimp ahead of time in some seasoning and butter. I topped the soup with cheese. I really liked the white American cheese from Land O Lakes on top. Finally, I'd like to try this recipe with chicken. I'd grill or cook the chicken before hand for more flavor.

Nutritional Facts (1 Serving)
Calories 240
Cholesterol 125mg
Carbohydrates 27g
Protein 20g
Fat 4.5g
Sodium 940mg
Dietary Fiber 2g



No comments:

Post a Comment